Pages

Saturday, January 19, 2013

Interview with Alice McDermott, author of 'After This'

Our novel this month is After This by Alice McDermott. I am not even a third of the way through the book and I'm enthralled. I have put my pencil down because underlining will do no good here. I would underline every sentence. The woman does not waste a syllable.

Julia is going to write us an into to the author, but I just ran across this interview that I thought you might enjoy:


"But then there's that difference of not just writing because of what it does for me, or for the pleasure of working with sentences or for entertaining my friends... that sense of that not only is what I love to do but this is what I must do. There is nothing else for me. Even after being in this profession for a number of  years now, I'd gladly not face that blank page every morning. If i thought. If I hadn't faced that black page, could I sleep tonight. And I know I couldn't."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...